Mason, B. J., Chang, S. W., Chen, J., Cronin, S. B., & Bushmaker, A. W. (2015). Thermoacoustic transduction in individual suspended carbon nanotubes. ACS nano, 9(5), 5372-5376.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 2015
- M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 2018
- Ph.D in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 2020
Selected Research and Industry Experience
- September, 2021: Rice University
- Role: Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Supervisor: Richard Baraniuk
- Projects (Ongoing):
- Connecting membership inference to overparamterization
- Active learning for knowledge graphs for intelligent textbooks
- August, 2015 - August 2021: University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Role: Graduate Research Assistant
- Advisor: Robert Nowak
- Bandit algorithms for level set estimation
- Nearest neighbor algorithms with noisy data
- Theoretical guatantees for low-dimensional metric learning
- Metric learning for interactive online education
- Fast algorithms for ordinal embedding
- June, 2018 - August, 2018: Amazon Music
- Role: Applied scientist intern
- Redesigning the song-prediction codebase to reduce size and computational burden
- Developed protoype of new method to predict song preference, driving new artist discovery
- May, 2014 - May, 2015: The Aerospace Corporation
- Role: Engineering Intern
- Advisor: Adam Bushmaker
- Project: Recording audio signals from carbon nanotube transistors
- Machine learning
- Multi-armed bandits
- Active learning
- Metric learning
- Level set estimation
How to Model Implicit Knowledge? Similarity Learning Methods to Assess Perceptions of Visual Representations
Rau, M. A., Mason, B., & Nowak, R. (2016). How to Model Implicit Knowledge? Similarity Learning Methods to Assess Perceptions of Visual Representations. International Educational Data Mining Society.
Mason, B., Jain, L., & Nowak, R. (2017). Learning low-dimensional metrics. Advances in neural information processing systems, 30.
Sen, A., Patel, P., Rau, M. A., Mason, B., Nowak, R., Rogers, T. T., & Zhu, J. (2018, January). For Teaching Perceptual Fluency, Machines Beat Human Experts. In CogSci
Nobles, J., Hamoudi, A., Nowak, R., Landau, E., Baron, A., Brittingham, J., & Mason, B. (2018, April). Socioeconomic Variability in Human Fecundity. In PAA 2018 Annual Meeting. PAA.
Sen, A., Patel, P., Rau, M. A., Mason, B., Nowak, R., Rogers, T. T., & Zhu, X. (2018). Machine Beats Human at Sequencing Visuals for Perceptual-Fluency Practice. International Educational Data Mining Society.
Cognitive Task Analysis for Implicit Knowledge About Visual Representations With Similarity Learning Methods
Mason, B., Rau, M. A., & Nowak, R. (2019). Cognitive Task Analysis for Implicit Knowledge About Visual Representations With Similarity Learning Methods. Cognitive science, 43(9), e12744.
Mason, B., Tripathy, A., & Nowak, R. (2019). Learning nearest neighbor graphs from noisy distance samples. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 32.
Mason, B., Jain, L., Tripathy, A., & Nowak, R. (2020). Finding all $\epsilon $-good arms in stochastic bandits. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 33, 20707-20718.
Jun, K. S., Jain, L., Mason, B., & Nassif, H. (2021, July). Improved confidence bounds for the linear logistic model and applications to bandits. In International Conference on Machine Learning (pp. 5148-5157). PMLR.
Alemohammad, S., Babaei, H., Barberan, C. J., Liu, N., Luzi, L., Mason, B., & Baraniuk, R. G. (2021). NFT-K: Non-Fungible Tangent Kernels. arXiv preprint arXiv:2110.04945.
Mason, B., Tripathy, A., & Nowak, R. (2021, December). Nearest neighbor search under uncertainty. In Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (pp. 1777-1786). PMLR.
Practical, Provably-Correct Interactive Learning in the Realizable Setting: The Power of True Believers
Katz-Samuels, J., Mason, B., Jamieson, K. G., & Nowak, R. (2021). Practical, Provably-Correct Interactive Learning in the Realizable Setting: The Power of True Believers. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 34.
Tan, J., Mason, B., Javadi, H., & Baraniuk, R. G. (2022). Parameters or Privacy: A Provable Tradeoff Between Overparameterization and Membership Inference. arXiv preprint arXiv:2202.01243.
Mason, B., Camilleri, R., Mukherjee, S., Jamieson, K., Nowak, R., & Jain, L. (2021). Nearly Optimal Algorithms for Level Set Estimation. arXiv preprint arXiv:2111.01768. (To appear at AIStats, 2022)
Service and leadership
- September, 2017 - September 2018: GODDESSES seminar
- Founded and led a graduate student only Optimization and Machine Learning speaker series where students can practice scientific communication skills and get feedback on research ideas.
- August, 2012 - May, 2015: Moneythink
- I was the president of the chapter of Moneythink at the University of Southern California. Through Moneythink, I taught financial literacy in Los Angeles high schools and oversaw the teaching of over 400 students as president.